Immigration and student aid with Y.L.A.F. experts

Obtaining a residence permit on the basis of studies

Finland is famous for the quality of its education. Finnish universities consistently rank high in world academic rankings. At the same time, about 40 universities in the country offer more than 600 programs in various specialties in English.

Russians are the largest group of foreign students in Finland. From January to August 2021 alone, according to the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri), 899 Russians applied for a residence permit for the purpose of study. According to the same statistics, most decisions on such applications (93%) are positive.

Interestingly, back in 2021 the Finnish authorities set a goal to increase the number of foreign students in Finnish universities by three times by 2030. In this direction is an active work. The Finnish government makes every effort to get good professionals, which is desperately lacking in the local labor market. Therefore, one of the goals is to keep graduates of Finnish universities in the country after graduation.

You are entitled to a residence permit in Finland if you are enrolled in an institution of higher education and your studies lead to a degree or a professional qualification. It is important that you have enough money to live in Finland for the duration of your residence permit. You must have at least €560 per month, for a total of €13,440 for a two-year stay. This amount can be lower if the educational institution provides you with free accommodation or free meals.

After graduation, you can stay in Finland to look for a job or to start a business. For this purpose, a special residence permit is issued for one year. You can then obtain a residence permit based on employment, enrolment in a post-graduate course or on family ties.

List of services for YLAF applicants and students

Our services

If you are just thinking about getting an education in Finland, use our service to find a higher education institution in this country.

Our experts:

  • will give useful advice on the topic of education in Finland
  • select higher education institutions to suit your needs and budget
  • prepare a complete set of documents
  • will send applications to universities
  • help with applying for internal university scholarships (if necessary)

We take care of the preparation of the complete set of documents for the application for a study permit. The process begins immediately after your enrollment at the chosen university.

If your child is a minor, we can find someone to represent him or her in Finland, or we can act as his or her representative.

Finland is a popular study destination for foreigners from all over the world. That is why it can be difficult to find a place to live while studying on your own. Entrust this task to our specialists. They will find a comfortable accommodation in any city in Finland on your request and within your budget.